Friday, February 27, 2009

Homemade Ginger Soda~



I was digging around in one of my many cookbooks and stumbled upon this old family recipe. Its a natural and refreshing ginger ale recipe without any of the high fructose corn syrups or added coloring.

Its a very simple recipe to make and I can just picture my Grandma making this for one (or more) of her 11 kiddos when they were sick!

Ginger is a spicy root that has a wonderful aroma and taste. It can help settle a upset tummy. Tis the Flu season!

When choosing ginger, remember that quality, fresh ginger should have smooth, light brown skin with a light sheen and white flesh. Pick the roots with the least number of knots and branching.


Ginger Simple Syrup:

1/2 cup *light agave nectar
1 (4-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup cold water

Place agave nectar, ginger, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook until ginger aroma and flavor are strong—about one hour. Let cool. Strain and refrigerate for up to one week. To make the Ginger Soda, use 1/2 cup of the ginger syrup and combine it with 3 cups of sparkling water. Pour over ice to serve. Enjoy!

*Agave Nectar is a natural sweetener and can be found in the health food section of REG. grocery store next to the honey! Or at your local Whole Foods store!

Have a blessed Sabbath~

Georgiann

1 comment:

  1. Stumbled upon your website. I am a female rancher who has raised 4 children and now have 9 grandchildren. I too am a Christian who thinks children are a gift from God. I want to try your ginger soda, sounds great. My website is chainranchlady.com if you want to visit

    ReplyDelete

I read all my comments and love to know people are out there....I enjoy making new blog friends!
Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment!